Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2021 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
White Chicken Curry is a perfect example of how minimal use of spices and ingredients can produce a dish that is rich in taste and full of flavor.
As the name signifies, this dish is basically white in colour and hence red chili powder and tomatoes are not used in this recipe.
In Hindi this Indian chicken curry is even referred to as Safed Murg which translates to White chicken in English. One of the popular Indian recipes that is super easy to make and delicious at the same time.
Recipe of White Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
There are different ways to make this dish, some use heavy cream in it. I too have a couple of ways to prepare this.
However this recipe, I have inherited from my mother requires minimal and easily available ingredients.
Besides the basic ingredients for this curry such as nut paste and yoghurt she has made use of coconut milk. Hence you will not have to go looking for anything particular as you probably would be having these ingredients available in your pantry.
What to serve with White Chicken Curry
To complete a menu for a family get together you could pair this curry up with the following dishes.
Recipe Benefits for people suffering from food allergies
So, lets get on with it and I hope you enjoy it.
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @onelifeseveralstories #onelifeseveralstories on Instagram. Thank you!
Easy White Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
- Cooking Pot
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 500 grams Chicken pieces
- 3 tbsp Yoghurt / Yogurt
- ⅓ cup Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ¼ tsp White pepper powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ¾ tsp Cumin powder
- ¾ tsp Garam masala powder
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Shah jeera
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped for garnishing
Onion and Green Chilli Purée
- 3 medium Onions
- 2 Green Chilies
Cashew and Almond Paste
- 25 Cashew nuts Before grinding into smooth paste soak in warm water for 5 mins
- 5 Almonds Before grinding into smooth paste soak in warm water for 5 mins and then remove the skin
- In a cooking pot on medium heat add the oil once heated add in the whole spices such as bay leaves, cloves, green cardamom amd shah jeera. Cook for a few seconds until it gets aromatic.3 tbsp Oil, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Green Cardamom, 3 Cloves, 1 tsp Shah jeera
- Then add the onion/ chili paste and fry until it changes to light pink in color. After which add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute until the raw smell goes away.3 medium Onions, 2 Green Chilies, 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- Now add the nut paste (cashew/almond) and fry by adding little water at a time until the raw taste goes away. Once the raw taste has gone, lower the flame and add in the yoghurt. Cook for five minutes stirring occasionally. Now, add the coconut milk and the remaining spices namely coriander powder, cumin powder and white pepper powder3 tbsp Yoghurt / Yogurt, ⅓ cup Coconut milk, 1 tsp Coriander powder, ¾ tsp Cumin powder, ¼ tsp White pepper powder
- Keep frying for five minutes by adding little water at a time. Now add the chicken and fry on high flame for three minutes. Add some water until the chicken is submerged, also at this point add the garam masala powder. Set the flame on high and cover the vessel with a lid. Once you see the curry boiling then lower the flame to slow. Cover and cook the curry for around ten minutes or until the chicken is done and the oil separates500 grams Chicken pieces, ¾ tsp Garam masala powder
- Open the lid, add the desired quantity of water for the thickness of the gravy and adjust the salt as per the requirement. Cook for sometime till the gravy thickens a bit.
- Lastly garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve either with roti or rice.1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices
- If you wish to then you can even make this as a boneless white chicken curry, however I have used mixed cuts of chicken.