This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
Today on OneLifeSeveralStories, Farhana guest blogs her recipe on Kadai Paneer. Farhana and I have been to the same school and have been classmates as well.
Unfortunately I had lost touch with Farhana for quiet some years however we got re-united thanks to social media and are common school friends.
Farhana has been sharing a lot of great recipes on her social media channels, do check it out and give it a try. You will find all the information in her bio mentioned at the end of this article.
“Paneer” is basically Indian Cottage Cheese and “Kadai” is a type of a thick, circular, deep cooking pot similar to a wok.
Kadai Paneer is a veg dish wherein you cook the paneer in a Kadai along with bell peppers and roast it with freshly ground spices that creates a unique spicy masala.
Kadai Paneer Made Simple
- Kadai/ Wok
- 400 Grams Paneer cut into 1.5 inch medium cubes
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 6 Medium Tomatoes 4 chopped finely and 2 cut into cubes of an inch in size
- 2 Small Onions cut into cubes of an inch in size
- 1 Medium Yellow Bell Pepper cut into cubes of an inch in size
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper cut into cubes of an inch in size
- 2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp Paprika Powder
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- Salt as required
- Cilantro for garnishing
Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilli Paste (grind the following into a paste) – 1/2 tbs
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chillies
Homemade Kadai Masala (Dry roast the following for a few mins then remove them in a plate, allow it to cool. Grind it into a fine powder) – 1 tbs
- 1 Dried Kashmiri Chilli
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- On a medium flame, in a wok/ kadai add oil and allow it to become hot
- Once the oil is hot, add dried red chilies and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter
- Then add 4 tomatoes that were finely chopped and let it cook until they get tender and soft by stirring occasionally.
- Now, add the ginger, garlic, green chilli paste and cook for 3 mins until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the homemade kadai masala and fry by adding little water at a time until the oil separates and comes on top.
- Then add the bell peppers, onion and tomatoes that have been cut into an inch in size and mix well until the peppers turn a little soft.
- Now add the Paneer and mix well, sauté for a few minutes until the the peppers turn a little soft.
- Finally garnish with cilantro and serve with Roti/ Paratha.
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices