This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
Have you ever wondered what to cook when you don’t feel like doing much in terms of chopping vegetables etc.? Well then, this Chicken curry recipe is your answer.
Whenever I have less time on my hands or if I am not in the mood of spending much time in chopping vegetables etc. then this is my go to chicken curry recipe. This chicken curry recipe is super quick and delicious which my mother used to make and serve with cumin rice. Well most of my mother’s recipes are quick ones. The biggest reason behind that was my father. As you may have read in my previous posts he was a foodie and he wanted each of his meal to consists of 3-4 items each day which includes curry, rice, chapati and vegetables. So inorder to make all of this for each meal most of my mom’s recipes are quick ones so that she can beat the clock and serve him in time. Moreover he wouldn’t settle for anything but tasty food. He sure was very demanding.
Having said that, how do you make a quick and easy chicken curry?
First and foremost we need to make “Brista” that is crispy fried onions the method of preparing is mentioned in the recipe card below.
To cut the cooking time even shorter what we do at home is we make a batch of these fried onions infact a lot of it and after cooling it on a paper towel we store it in an air tight container before storing it in the refrigerator. This is something that I would really advise you to do because it not only helps you to reduce your cooking time but will also work as an ingredient in other Indian Mughlai recipes that call for it to be used.
What to serve with Chicken Curry
Vegetable Pulao as mains and Chicken Tava Kebab would pair up well with this chicken curry for any family or friends get together.
Recipe benefits for people suffering from food allergies
- Dairy free
- Soy free
- Free from sunflower seed oil, as I have used rice bran oil
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @onelifeseveralstories #onelifeseveralstories on Instagram. Thank you!
Easy Chicken Curry with Potatoes
- Cooking Pot
- Mixer Grinder
- 750 grams Chicken with bones
- 3 medium Onions thinly sliced
- 2 large Tomatoes puréed
- 2 medium Potatoes cut into 4 quarters
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves Finely chopped for garnishing
- Salt as required
Cashew and Almond
- 4 Cashew soak in hot water
- 4 Almond soak in hot water, after 5 mins remove the skin of the almond and discard the water
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- ½ Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Black pepper balls
- Cashew and Almond that was soaked and kept aside in the previous step
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
Brista (Crispy Fried Onions)
- In a cooking pot on medium heat put oil, once it’s hot, add the thinly sliced onions and fry them stirring occasionally until all sides are a little less than dark brown. Make sure you don’t burn them. (In fact you should remove them a bit earlier before it can turn dark brown while frying because while sitting on the paper towel they will cook a tad bit because of the hot oil it will have over it). Remove them on a paper towel so that the excess oil has been soaked up by it.Once cooled you need to crush them using your hands to make it a fine powder. And set aside to be used in the curry.5 tbsp Oil, 3 medium Onions
- Once done with the above step, In the same cooking pot, using the same oil on medium heat add the bay leaf and the thick paste that you have ground earlier
- Fry for 5 mins adding a little water at a time. Then add the crushed fried onion (brista) that you made and had set aside. Add the potatoes as well
- Keep frying by adding little water at a time until the oil separates and comes up
- Then add the chicken pieces and fry on high flame until the chicken water dries up
- When you notice the colour of the chicken pieces have changed then add the tomato puree
- Let it cook on medium flame for 5 mins until the water of the tomato dries up
- Add some salt as per your requirement
- Now add water until the chicken and potato have been covered completely
- Cover and cook on slow flame until the chicken and the potato have been cooked thoroughly
- You can even adjust the water as per the consistence you desire. I have kept it medium which is not a dry gravy and not to runny as seen in the picture above
- Lastly garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with Cumin rice/ plain rice/ bread/ roti which ever you may desire
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices
Did you make this recipe?
Tag onelifeseveralstories on Instagram and hashtag it #onelifeseveralstories
Leave a Reply