This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
A “stew” is dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in a closed dish or pan. This recipes combines the goodness of coconut milk with chicken and vegetables. You may have come across many stew recipes from different cuisines however for me, this one has scored a point and continues to stay on top of the list.
You can even call this recipe “Kerala Chicken Stew”. It is mild, cooked with minimum spices yet full of flavors.
I was introduced to this dish by one of my family friends who hail from the southern part of India from a state called Kerala. It’s a beautiful city with super delicious food which I am in love with. Coconut being one of the main ingredients in their cuisine. Hence in this recipe you will find quiet a lot of coconut being used.
I have used only carrots and potatoes in it as my family and I prefer the taste it gets with these 2 vegetables however you could even add French beans to it if you wish to. Usually, you can enjoy this stew with Appam or Malbari Paratha but you can even eat this with rice or any normal paratha. If you are not allergic to coconut whatsoever then you should definitely give this recipe a try. You will be amazed on how a simple prepared dish can taste so amazing.
Recipe benefits for people suffering from food allergies
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @onelifeseveralstories #onelifeseveralstories on Instagram. Thank you!
Chicken Stew with Coconut Milk
- Cooking Pot
- Mixer Grinder
- 750 grams Chicken Pieces
- 1 big Onions thinly sliced
- ½ small Onion finely cubed
- 1 big Carrots cut into small cubes ½ an inch in size
- 2 medium Potatoes cut into cubes of an inch in size
- 1 can Coconut milk Of any brand. I have tried Eastern and American Garden both are good
- 15 Cashews soak in warm water for 5 mins
- 3 tbsp Shredded Coconut
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 6 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Green Chillies slit in between
- 3 springs Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Ginger/ Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 4 tbsp Coconut oil
- Salt as required
- Grind the soaked cashews with shredded coconut into a smooth paste using very little water
- In a cooking pot on medium heat add 3 tbs coconut oil
- Once the oil is hot add cloves, bay leaf, star anise and peppercorns
- Once they start to splutter, add the sliced onions and fry them until light golden color just until they are soft
- Add green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 mins
- After that add 2 springs of curry leaves and give it a stir
- Now, add the carrots and potatoes and fry adding little water at a time also add in salt and black pepper powder
- When the vegetables are 3/4th done add the chicken pieces and fry on a high flame until water from the chicken dries up
- On Medium flame, add in the cashew and shredded coconut paste and fry it for 5 mins adding little water at a time
- Now add the coconut milk and mix well until well combined.
- Check the seasoning and adjust the salt and pepper powder as per your taste requirements
- Cover and cook the stew until the chicken and vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Once done switch of the flame.
- Lastly, take a small frying pan, on medium flame add 1 tbs coconut oil. When heated add 1 spring curry leaves and 1/2 finely chopped onions. Fry until light golden brown and then pour it on the stew, mix well and then cover the vessel. Let it sit for 5 mins and you can then serve it.
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices
Did you make this recipe?
Tag onelifeseveralstories on Instagram and hashtag it #onelifeseveralstories
Leave a Reply